Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Final Countdown

Sorry you haven't heard from me in a while, folks. I've been busy/out with a COSTAL INJURY WTF/stressed/busy some more. Man, this whole "busy" thing is really cutting into my blogging time.

Anyway, here's a quick recap of what's been going on during the hiatus: Snow melts, rehearse for Amahl and the Night Visitors, Christmas parties, rehearsals, injury, whine incessantly about injury, and the final week of Amahl rehearsals.

We open in two days.

Yesterday, some of the board members came in to watch our rehearsal; they were very sweet and said wonderful things about the show. Afterwards, they had lunch with the company and got to know the dancers. It was all very pleasant. Today-- since Amahl incorporates a lot of American Sign Language into the choreography-- we had a gentleman come in to look at our signing and make sure we were doing the signs correctly. He was very receptive, and it was really nice to work with him and get his feedback (we learned a bit more about ASL in the process, too).

So here we are: the final countdown. In 48 hours, I will already be onstage. On Sunday night, I will dance my final performance of Amahl-- my final performance with the company. After that, I leave for Pennsylvania and won't be back until 2010.

Things will be different when I get back, but I'm looking forward to what's coming up. The spring season is going to be a whole new ball game-- dancing and performing Letters You Wrote, creating several new works (including Everywhere I Go and Corelli Concerto, which, by the way-- WHEE), performing in another new show this spring-- it's gonna be great.

But that's all in the future. For now: It's Christmastime in Houston, and I've got a date with a crutch and a stage.

No comments: