Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Call the Fashion Police

Dancers: Onstage, we're quite a sight to see with all our makeup and pretty costumes and glitter and slicked-down hair.

Offstage? Well, not so much. This morning, I went to ballet class in a purple leotard and black tights-- which I covered up with a bright-green T-shirt and white miniskirt before I left the house (and made all the more mismatchy with brown ballet flats and giant Marc sunglasses). Just....picture that, if you will.

Unsurprisingly, I did not get hit on on my way to or from the studio.

Although..... I've done much worse, and I've still gotten whistled at. A few months ago, I was walking home from rehearsal-- still in my leotard (that I've had for ten years) and gaucho pants, with old flip-flops and hair in a messy bun; and I was whistled at twice.

Twice! In the space of a five-block walk!*

I'm guessing that either "ragamuffin chic" is back in, or some people think that dancers are more glamorous when they look homeless.** To each his own.

*Yes, I do carry pepper spray. Plenty of it, I might add.
**And some of them are just plain creepy and tasteless.

No comments: