Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Friday, December 5, 2008

My Week: in Fifteen Ramblings or Less


1. Rehearsals resumed this week for the Company's upcoming Christmas performances. Yay!
2. I popped my knee on Wednesday night, and it finally stopped hurting.
3. I finally submitted all my costume and music proposals. Whee!
4. The Studio Company has a performance tomorrow....
5. ...but Elle is on the injured list and two more kiddos are out with a ghastly bug. And to trip the light fantastic, two of those three have demi-solos in my ballet.
6. I tend to forget my choreography approximately 5-7 minutes after I set it, but since that particular ballet is one of the few exceptions..."I'm goin' in." One of the many perks of being itty-bitty and young-looking is the ability to blend in with your own kiddos.
7. Yesterday was an atrociously Blah day: I had an embarrasingly awful Off Day in rehearsal, my knee hurt like a beeyoach, my hair refused to cooperate, it was cloudy and cold outside, and my knee hurt even more when I went to teach. But it ended well: I got to pick out pretty costumes and chat with Ray-Ray, and when I came home I had nachos and Chenin Blanc and played Alice.
8. Don't you hate having those Off Days? You feel like the worst dancer in the room, and like everyone else must think you're a complete idiot with spoo for brains and the dance technique of a squegee. But it happens; all dancers have Off Days. And if don't....well, then either you're one of those irritatingly perfect people, or you're a cocky bastard.
9. Ahem. Well, now that that's out of my system......
10. Today is as close to a day "off" as I'll have for a while (until, um, Christmas)-- I only have one two-hour rehearsal in the evening. I was a bum all morning (I read a lot of Musings of a Barefoot Foodie, which is completely hysterical and should be read by everyone), drove out to the 'burbs to pick up Elle's ballet costume from Mama Elle, and went to Target on the way home for some major grocery/new- appliance shopping. I got unpacked while watching Kevin Nealon and eating a delicious vegan lunch.
11. Things I should be doing: Changing the rat cage, feeding the animals, mopping, washing dishes, choreographing for this evening, planning private lessons for tomorrow morning.
12. Things I am currently not doing: Changing the rat cage, feeding the animals, mopping, washing dishes, choreographing for this evening, planning private lessons for tomorrow morning.
13. This is tomorrow: Drive to the 'burbs (with hair and base makeup already done), teach four private lessons (three ballet, one jazz); drive downtown, jump into costume, walk through the ballet with the kiddos, perform; drive to Sugar Land, rehearse; drive back to Houston for writing jam session.
14. In other words, guess who's going to bed immediately after rehearsal tonight?

No comments: