Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So much for the euphoria

Typically, most dancers who've just finished a successful major performance like to take a day or so to bask in the Yay-We-Did-It afterglow. I, however, have this track record of finishing a successful major performance and having to immediately blow town hours later. It's a cruel joke of timing, really: the curtain has barely closed when you find yourself sitting on a plane with blisters all over your feet and glitter still in your hair.

Cases in point: June 2004, my first performance with a professional company (see below); the next morning I'm driving to New York City to spend a month at the Taylor School. December 2006, I finish dancing the role of the Sugar Plum Fairy in Pennsylvania eight hours before I have to board a flight back to Houston. Two days ago, my company performs in the Mountain Dance Concert (I perform with my company and with PADV); six hours later all six of us pile into the van and traipse back to the airport.

I'm fully aware that dividing your time between multiple states means you're going to be in a hurry more often than not, but once in a while I'd like a full day to rest and reflect on the finished performances-- preferably not while waiting in line at airport security.

No comments: