Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Showtime

2 down, 2 to go.

The opening performance was excellent/amazing/wonderful. 100 school children from a community program came as a group, we got a loud and wonderful ovation.

Despite my lethargy when I arrived at call for the 7:30 show, after sewing myself into my pointe shoe and stapling my wig onto my head I was much more awake. Warmup, costumes (sewing myself into my pants), makeup, and we were off. During the curtain speech all five of us "main" dancers (Mom/Amahl and kings) gathered on stage to continue warming-up and bantering. The curtain speech gave me time to get nervous, though once the overture started I was fine. It was a good run--I didn't feel as strong as I did in the matinee; but still good; we had another good audience with a good reaction.

Afterward: After-party on the stage. I introduced my Mom to Treble D (the "other" Amahl)'s mom, so they could converse on the grounds that they have Being Amahl's Mother in common. I could say so much about the shows, but these are the Cliffnotes: it is a wonderful ballet that I am privileged enough to dance in alongside some really wonderful people.

Tomorrow is the last 2 shows. It's weird to think that 24 hours from now I won't be carrying my crutch around anymore.

No comments: