Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

Well, folks, it's that time of year again: recital time! My students are performing their spring show in three days, and it's looking all kinds of wonderful. We have two casts this year; Cast #1 had their final run-through on Monday, Cast #2 had theirs yesterday. At the end of rehearsal yesterday, I said to our studio owner "I can't believe that the next time I see these kids, it will be the big show. Didn't the school year just start, like, last week?"

The rehearsals went as swimmingly as swimmingly can be. The show is so tightly rehearsed that it just flies by; the dances looked great and spirits were high all around. It was nice to see the other dances-- and for me, it was nice to have other people see *my* dances for the first time (one of the moms who never got a chance to see her daughter's dance came up to me and told me how much she liked it and that it's "really pretty." Sweet). My Corelli Concerto-- as in, the one that I angsted over to no end/thought would never get finished/never look the way I wanted it to-- looks beautiful, and I got a lot of compliments on it. My littlest girls (beginner jazz, ages 6-8) just about stole the scene on Monday...they're dancing to "Say Hey" by Michael Franti, and their dance is almost cute enough to make your head explode into candy. Everyone just loves it!

What makes me happiest is seeing how much my students have grown. And grown and grown and grown and then grown some more. I've seen my oldest girls become more and more dedicated to ballet and to dance in general; some of them with big achievements such as performing in HB's Nutcracker or getting into summer intensives. I've also seen ALL of my students-- from the youngest to the oldest-- learn so much and improve by leaps and bounds over the year, and I'm crazy proud of them. I don't know if I've ever stated this explicitly, so I'll say it now: I have the most rewarding job and the best students in the world. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Also: Recital time means Mama-Butterfly-comes-to-visit-me time! The last time she visited was Alice in Wonderland last year; since then I've moved (again) (I know) (shut up), acquired a new boyfriend and a new kitten, and grew out my atrocious Hockey Hair. We are both so excited to see each other we're practically bouncing up and down. My mom still comes to see my dance recitals, even though I'm all grown up and teaching now. Sweet.

Dear students and faculty at my place of employment: MERDE! Have a wonderful show. :)

No comments: