Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Welcome to the Improv

I'm heading out the door to go teach in a few minutes, but I'll be leaving the studio a half-hour early tonight-- I've got to get to the [Good Times] Dance Theater's Cultured Cocktails fundraiser at Boheme.

Since our dancing space is limited, we won't be performing our exact 'Letters You Wrote' choreography. Instead, we'll be performing dance improvisation that is loosely related to our 'Letters' dances.

To be frank, I'm a little nervous-- I've always had a bit of a mental block when it comes to dance improv, especially in a performance capacity. That hasn't always been in the case; In the past I worked a lot more in modern dance and improvisation. However, I've spent the last year and a half with my brain set exclusively to "classical ballet choreography," so now I'm a bit rusty when it comes to modern/improv. I was a bit edgy going into our rehearsal yesterday; the first run-throughs of our improv stuff did not feel good to me at all. I collected myself and gave myself a little mental pep-talk, and the second run felt one hundred times better.

So: In about five hours I will face down my fear of performing improv once and for all. I think it's all gonna be okay, and our company is going to have a great night. Here we go.

No comments: