Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Creatively Dry.

It's not a fun place to be, but we all go through phases of it from time to time. It's annoying. It's frustrating. And there's nothing you can do about dry spells but wait them out.

I'm going through one of those spells right now. I blame it on burnout, which is another frustrating place to be. I was hoping this little five-day break from routine would help, but four days in I can't even blog coherently, let alone make dances. This is not encouraging.

George Balanchine said it best: "In making ballets, you cannot sit and wait for the Muse. Union time hardly allows it, anyhow." These dances aren't going to finish themselves, we've got a show to do, my dancers are waiting. Muse or no muse, I must press on.

ARGH. If anybody needs me, I'll be over here pulling my hair out in frustration. And aggressively hunting down my muse.