Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Revert


My life is starting to feel normal again. And it. Is. AWESOME.

Witness:
Monday night I went back to the studio for the first time in two weeks, and it was really lovely. I [somehow] managed to remember and re-create the jazz combination I came up with two weeks ago; the kids seemed to really enjoy it and it looked really cute (my poor assistant looked exhausted, though; I started to feel bad for the girl). I was delighted when several mothers told me "[My child] just loves your class." Hooray! Was tough on my ballet girls-- especially my older ones-- but they always rise to the occasion. They're a great group.

This morning our company director, two other dancers (my buddy E and a very cool gal who I hadn't met before) and myself went down to the local TV station to film a spot for The Company's upcoming benefit fundraiser. We got dressed up in funky skirts and accessories and did a little conga line. It's very cute, and it'll air tomorrow afternoon.
Afterward our director was teaching an open ballet class, so E and I went to take it. It was a lovely class; plus I got to see some folks I haven't seen/danced with in a while (AND I'm finally getting used to dancing in those damned Gaynor Mindens!). I left the studio humming happily (you ever see people stopped at a red light, who appear to be doing some little dance in the driver's seat to whatever tunes they have on? Yeah. I do that). On the way home home from work in the afternoon, I chatted with the studio owner about the fall schedule and some upcoming projects for the student company. Back to dancing, back to teaching, back to making dances and living in pointe shoes. I finally feel normal again (or, as "normal" as I can get)-- and I love it.

[By the way, to avoid confusion: "The Company"= the contemporary ballet company I dance with; "The Ensemble"= my own small group].

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you ever write about anything but DANCE? really get a life and grow up!

Anonymous said...

Gosh, "Wenda," I guess you don't get the concept of a "dance blog!" No wonder Butterfly, Shan, and Ari will have nothing to do with you....

Anonymous said...

Gosh, "Wenda," I guess you don't get the concept of a "dance blog!" No wonder Butterfly, Shan, and Ari will have nothing to do with you....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Wow, it's great to see that you understand to idea of DANCE blogging, moron.