Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tales of a Rookie Dance- Ensemble Director

Today I received the one Freebie that God grants to every choreographer: I had a dance happen by accident. The choreography finished and cleaned itself. I think that happens once in a lifetime every dance- maker, and I'm eternally thankful that I got mine today.

In all seriousness, I'm happy with Building Nothing 2.0. In my mind, it's not finished-- there is so much more that I want to add to it, choreographically and conceptually-- but time got away from us. Still, I love the changes that were made, the footage from today looks great, and we're excited to present this newer version of our piece this coming weekend.

Our fundraiser and rep showing is three days, and I'm knee-deep in last-minute preparations. Although we're looking to fund our upcoming performances both in Houston and on the road, the director of Butterfly Dance Ensemble (e.g. yours truly) is accepting any and all donations of sanity. We're a new company, I'm a rookie director. I'm still learning the ropes and I finished a major show barely three days ago, so you can guess where this is going: THINGS ARE CHAOTIC.

As much as I'd like to tell you more about Life In The Process, most of my brain cells have already jumped ship and I need to quit blog-stalling and get back to work. I'll make this quick: Here's what my office looks like right now:


P.S. Here's your Lesson Of The Day: The words "Windows Vista" and "film-editing software" should never be used in the same sentence unless you want to spend two hours head-desking. I learned this the hard way.

No comments: