Photo Credit: Phil Wayes

Friday, January 16, 2009

My week in 15 ramblings or less, part 3

1. This is the part of my blog where political topics are going to start wedging themselves in between the dance ramblings. Four more days until the next four years, folks!

2. I took a chill pill on the political stuff after the election, riding my high of "whee, we're gonna get a new President who is awesome in a few months, hooray;" but now eight years of suppressed frustration and outrage are finally catching up with me.

3. What? I'm on a dance blog? Oh, hey, you're right! Let's talk dance. I finished two ballets in three days; two weeks into rehearsals. This is an unusual speed for me.

4. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that those dances have been slowly taking shape in my head for the last seven years, since the first time I danced to that particular score. I loved the music and have wanted to choreograph my own movement to it ever since.

5. ........it also helps that they're both pretty short.

6. Last night my friend asked me "Dude, what's with the speed-choreographing all of a sudden? Are you planning a suicide or something?" Wow, dude. Dark.

7. Rest assured, I plan to stay on the planet to annoy you all for years to come. The thing is, I really don't have a reason other than "I like getting dances done."

8. Know what I haven't been getting done? Housework. In any capacity. Need to get going on that.

9. I had rehearsal this afternoon, and it was really fun. We started learning 'Sabbath Day,' a ballet to a series of Shaker hymns. We learned about 4 sections of it today, and it's so much fun to dance. Plus, from the looks of the archival videos we have cute costumes as well-- long old-fashioned skirts and these little bonnet-things. Say whatever you want, but I think they're cute. I want a bonnet-thing! And long skirts look wayyyy better on me than frilly tutus, let me tell you that much.

10. We also did a little run of the ballet we started learning yesterday. Our pas felt way better today-- the choreography came to me more easily; R gave me some partnering pointers (which may have resulted in me not injuring his Man Stuff as much). It was a fun rehearsal, and I left in high spirits.

11. Me, to E: "There's a lot of you rond de jamb-ing over my head this season." She and I are duet queens-- we're always dancing together, the two small blonde ballet girls.

12. I had to make a tough dance-related decision recently. It was not fun.

13. However, after I made that decision I felt considerably better-- it took a lot of heavy stress off my shoulders.

14. I'm wondering how the next few weeks are going to go. Scratch that, I'm curious to see what's going to happen in the next few days. It's a regular gamble over here-- you never know what is going to happen next. And no, I will not illustrate that point by quoting Forrest Gump. Rest assured.

No comments: